Wednesday, January 12, 2005


Addie and her little friend Ben from next door decided it would be cool to sit in one of the drawers of her large dresser. It was NOT a good idea (the entire dresser fell on top of them!). This is her shiner yesterday. Today her eye is much darker and swollen shut- or as she likes to say, she has a swallowed eye.

4 comments:

Kendra said...

A few months ago, I caught Addie standing in one of the drawers in order to help her reach something that was on top of the dresser. I explained to her how incredible dangerous this was and that she should never do it again. After she had a few hours to recover yesterday, I brought this up to her and she replied "But I didn't stand in the drawer, I sat in it."

Needless to say, by sundown all of our large pieces of furniture will be bolted to the walls.

By the way, her friend, Ben was not injured at all.

Val said...

I am the one who bears the guilt on this one. After that little boy was killed in the same way at the local Sam's I should have tied everything down but just didn't think that would happen at our house. I was wrong and, yes, I will take care of it.

Kendra said...

I don't want anyone to think I was assigning blame. Most kids never need the safety precautions that the experts suggest. Who would ever think before an incident like this to attach the furniture to the walls?! I sure didn't! The crazy thing is that kids like Addie will find danger even if all the safety precautions are in place.

SG said...

If it makes you feel any better, Rhett (2 at the time) was the only one in the house who could easily open the childproof latch on the pantry! Some kids seem to have a talent for finding danger even when they are not looking for it! Somehow I think this hurts the two of you almost more than it hurt her...and from the looks of it, that is saying a lot! Parenting is not for cowards or the weak stomached! :) Hope you all feel better soon!